RAINBOW MOUNTAIN (FULL DAY HIKE)
Rainbow Mountain is part of the Vinicunca Mountain range in the Andes. The minerals that make up the soil in this part of the world have combined to transform dull dirt into a masterpiece of colors. We'll spend the day hiking around this newly discovered area, now dubbed "the Hidden Mountain".
DURATION: 6 hours
TYPE: Day hike
DIFFICULTY: 3 - Full day of hiking. Includes moderate to steep inclines and declines. Preparation is recommended.
- Be one of the first visitors to explore this new section of the Andes
- Enjoy stunning scenery and unique topography
- Learn historical and archeological facts during a professionally guided tour
- Leave Cusco and return on the same day, great option for those with time before a trek to Machu Picchu or Choquequirao
TRANSPORTATION: All transportation is included.
FOOD & Water: All of your water, snacks and meals (professionally prepared brekfast and lunch) are provided. Please notify our staff of any food allergies or restrictions and we will ensure that the food is prepared property.
PROFESSIONAL GUIDES: Kusa Treks strives for greatness and this starts and ends with our people. All of our trek leaders are locals to this region and studied Tourism and/or Archeology in University. They are all fluent in English and are passionate about their work. Trust me when I say, there is no better person to be on the Trail with than a Kusa Treks guide, you are in incredible hands.
TREKKING POLES: While this is only a 1-day hike, there are some ascents and descents. Kusa Treks will provide a set of trekking poles to aid you (and your knees) while you make these climbs.
PORTERS: We will bring porters on this trek to help carry our food supplies and any additional items you mat not need during the actual hiking portions of the trip.
- The day will start early with a 4:30AM pick-up in Cusco
- 3.5 hour private transportation
- When we reach the trail head, our private chef will serve up a delicious and nutritious breakfast to give you the energy needed to start our hike
- The hike starts out at an elevation of ~12,000ft (3,700m)
- We'll hike a steady incline for 4 hours to reach the hidden Rainbow Mountain, the hike has wonderful views of the Andes, red mountain sides, rocky terrain, and the Andes
- We'll most likely run into some grazing Alpacas and Llamas
- This is the only place in Cusco where you can see wild Vicuñas, they are a cousin to the Alpaca and their wool is the most expensive cloth in the worth (1 scarf is ~$1,200!)
- Once we reach the peak of Rainbow Mountain (17,060ft) your guides will provide some hot drinks, while we enjoy the majesty views surrounding us
- After selfies and high fives, we'll head back down, for a 2-hour decent to a freshly prepared lunch
- After lunch we'll visit with some of the locals that still live on this mountain, we'll learn how they grow food and some of their spiritual traditions in their worship of the Sun
- Our last trek will be back to the Chillca village, where our transportation will be waiting
- Arrival back to Cusco should be around 7:00-7:30PM