Cusco Hotel Recommendations
If you’re coming to Peru to visit Machu Picchu you will start your journey in Cusco (Cuzco). Cusco (Coos-Ko) is located at 11,100ft. (3,400m) above sea level and was once the capital of the Inca Empire. It is now a beautiful, vibrant city that caters to millions of visitors from all over the world.
As each trip to Machu Picchu begins and ends in Cusco there are a number of hotels, restaurants, shops and other attractions for travelers to enjoy. If you plan to do a hike to Machu Picchu we always recommend getting to Cusco at least 2 full days to acclimate to the high elevation of the Peruvian Andes.
We’ve put together a list of recommended places to stay while you are in Cusco:
Hotel Rumi Punku. This is our top pick for a 3-star hotel in Cusco. It is simply a solid hotel that “checks all the boxes”. Rumi Punku is clean, safe and provides an authentic Peruvian atmosphere. It is also close enough to the Plaza de Armas (city-center) to walk, but far away enough to provide a quiet/peaceful atmosphere.
- Price (USD): $95+
- Location: 2 blocks NE of city-center, <10 minute walk.
- Amenities: Free buffet breakfast, free wifi, free transportation to and from airport, onsite spa (extra), cable TV, office space with computers, laundry service (extra), safety deposit box.
- Rating on Tripadvisor*: 4.5 (1,700 reviews)
- Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza. Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza is an extension of Cusco´s historical center, it has an indoor patio which has been transformed into a cozy colonial lounge There are many terraces and balconies that overlook the city, the roofs of Cusco´s homes, and the Churches of the Plaza de Armas.
- Casa Andina Standard Cusco Catedral. This is a comfortable and cozy hotel located a few steps from the Main Cathedral, which allows its visitors to enjoy the main sights and surroundings of Cusco just a few steps from the hotels door.
- Sonesta Hotel Cusco. The Sonesta Hotel Cusco is just an 8-minute drive from the airport and a few blocks from the Main Square of Arms of Cusco, offering its guests quick and easy access to the train station and the main tourist attractions such as the Koricancha Palace, Sacsayhuamán and the Artisan Center in the city.
- Price (USD): $150+
- Location: 0.7 miles (1.1 km) SE from city-center, 15 minute walk.
- Amenities: Free buffet breakfast, free wifi, HD TV, safety deposit box, office space with computers, free transportation to and from airport, ATM, room service, laundry services.
- Rating on Tripadvisor*: 4.5 (3,900 reviews)
- Andean Wings Boutique Hotel. This is a local 4-star hotel that is situated two blocks from the Plaza de Armas in the heart of the ancient city. Andean Wings is a fully restored, sixteenth century colonial building that blends style, luxury and comfort. It has 17 rooms and suites that are uniquely styled with local antiques and original art work (all available for purchase), while also offering modern comforts.
- Palacia del Inka. This hotel is housed in a storied mansion dating back nearly five centuries. It is an inspiring combination of the past and present, Palacio del Inka Spa presents indigenous treatments and an indoor therapy pool. Guest rooms combine Peruvian art and handcrafted furnishings with contemporary amenities.
- Price (USD): $285+
- Location: 2 blocks SE of city-center, 7 minute walk.
- Amenities: Free buffet breakfast, wireless/wired internet, oxygen in room, foreign exchange services, room service (24 hours), laundry service, lockbox, satellite TV, mini-bar, fitness center.
- Rating on Tripadvisor*: 5.0 (2,700 reviews)
- JW Marriott el Covento Cusco. Timeless luxury, this boutique hotel offers a truly unique blend of historic grandeur and modern comfort. Housed in a restored 16th-century convent in the heart of Cusco, it features two exhibition halls with ancient Peruvian artifacts. The hotel is also home to the extraordinary Qespi Restaurant & Bar, widely considered to be one of the best restaurants in Cusco.
- Price (USD): $310+
- Location: 1.5 blocks E of city-center, 6 minute walk.
- Amenities: Full service spa, breakfast buffet ($20 USD), wireless/wired internet, oxygen in room, foreign exchange services, room service (24 hours), laundry service, lockbox, satellite TV, mini-bar, fitness center, car rental, bottled water, electric adaptors, climate control, heated swimming pool, copy service, business center.
- Rating on Tripadvisor*: 5.0 (3,300 reviews)
- Supertramp Hostel. This hostel was voted as the overall best hostel for 2018 by backpackers. They are known as the as a “hostel for vagabonds, run by vagabonds”. There is a bar onsite, which provides a great atmosphere to meet new friends!
- Ecopackers. This hostel is one of the best for solo travelers, it is one of the most popular hostels in Cusco and is well known for being a great place to meet other travelers. The outdoor terrace is gorgeous and provides stunning views of Cusco.
- For more on Hostels click here -